Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

KCW Day 5 - Spring Birthday Dress




Pattern: Oliver & S Roller Skate Dress
Fabric: Collage Paper Bird Dot and Michael Miller Painter's Canvas
Size 5


kid's clothes week

Thursday, January 30, 2014

KCW Day 4: Upcycled T-shirt Dress


Another Upcycled shirt for KCW.  I might keep this upcycling theme for the rest of the week.  No doubt I have enough old shirts and pants to choose from!  My husband can certainly attest to the pile of clothes in my sewing room the family room.


I started out with the Heidi & Finn Cowl Neck Jumper pattern.  I hoped I would have enough fabric, but I was just a little short and I couldn't get the cowl neck to hang right, I think it needs to be larger than the pattern calls for.  So I went ahead and made a crew neck using the extra material for the necking binding.  I was lucky to be able to use the existing hems, so I didn't have to fuss with the bottom or sleeve hems.  Score!  That seriously saves so much time.  My only other change to the pattern was to shorten the sleeves to 3/4 length.  Which also seems to be my theme for KCW.  I just love that length on her right now.


She was pretty happy to get her new dress.  I think I've been pretty fortunate so far, she has loved and worn everything I've made her.  I'm dreading the day she refuses to wear something I've spent so much time and money into.  As far as she is concerned, if she can be silly and twirl around, then the dress is good to go.

I'm hoping to get a least one more item made for KCW, maybe pants or skirt, I haven't decided yet.  But come on back and check it out!


Tuesday, January 28, 2014

KCW Day 2: Upcycled Apple Peplum


First up for KCW is an upcycled peplum top for Del.  We have been fortunate enough to receive a ton of hand-me-downs from cousins, but once in awhile it's fun to see if we can bring new life to some of them.  Our most recent box had clothes upto size 10 (yikes!).  This Gymboree apple print dress was one of them.  I'm not sure it had ever been worn, so the fabric was in excellent shape.  Personally I think the cute print is more appropriate for a preschooler than a preteen (which is probably why it was never worn).


I used a basic t-shirt pattern to cut the pieces to the correct size.  I sewed along the sides, shoulders and sleeves, then folded the skirt under and hemmed.   I left the original skirt attached, so I didn't have to redo the gathering.  There was also a gathering for a puff sleeve that I left in place.  I'm very happy with the finished product.  And there is still enough fabric from the skirt portion that I can make a cute skirt later on.


The peplum silhouette is super cute on Del.  And she loves that it twirls just like a dress and that it "bounces" when she jumps.  I will definitely make these again!


Thursday, January 23, 2014

Dreaming in Pink


Awhile back my sweet little girl finally upgraded from her toddler bed to a twin.  A momentous occassion marked by me spending hours scouring craigslist for just the right vintage bed frame.  I love the Jenny Lind beds, but I also kind of wanted a canopy..I mean I thought Del would love a canopy.  And just when I thought I found the perfect one, my sister in law casually mentioned she had her childhood bed frame that was painted a lovely pink color and I was welcome to it.  Sold!  I loved it instantly because it had the vintage look I was going for and it was from family.  Del and I both loved it because it was pink.  So with that out of the way I started scouring Craigslist for dressers and such...sigh.


Now a new big girl bed clearly calls for new big girl bedding.  I wanted sweet, precious, innocent little girl and the retail world wanted hot pink, zebra print loving tweens.  Cough, cough, NO.  So Del and I went to the our local fabric store, I picked out three lovely pink prints and she choose this Riley Blake Promenade Floral (picture me jumping up down excited).  Insert a ridiculous amount of time (because this is how I roll). Then I finally completed it!  Yay!


In an effort to keep the project more affordable, I opted to use a coordinating solid for the side panels and a flat sheet for the reverse side.  The sheet set was from Target and worked perfectly.  I used pink bias tape to sandwich the two side together. You could also sew the seams right sides together and then turn it right side out.  I had enough scrap pieces from the flat sheet to make ties at the bottom of the duvet.  And since I really don't like buttons, this worked out perfectly.  One last thing that can't be seen from the photos, I added twill ties to the corners and sides of the duvet cover to help keep the duvet in place.  Maybe we're just crazy sleepers around here, but it drives me crazy to find the duvet shifted and bunched up within the cover.


Sweet dreams little one.